Monday, January 25, 2010

It's over


We drove home from Early Christmas in NC and went directly to the church because I had Ward Council meeting prior to our 3pm Sacrament Meeting on Dec. 20th. After Ward Council the bishop asked me to stay behind and told me I was going to be released as Relief Society President the next week. I was kind of taken aback. I still had so much to do, so many goals. But, I guess 6 years (and 2 weeks) is long enough to hog one calling!

That week was going to be my catchup week to get all the last minute things done before Christmas, but instead I spent 4+ hours going through my files and binders, 3 hours cleaning out the RS closet, and about 3 hours meeting with the new RS president. I didn't realize how long our meeting was; I really should have given her lunch! David was a wonder, as usual, running errands everywhere, baking, shopping, making deliveries, etc.

It was such an honor to be RS President in this ward. The sisters are so wonderful, caring, loving and spiritual. I have worked with three incredible bishops and so many great women. People have said some really nice things to me. The thing that touched me the most that day was when the previous bishop came up to me said, "Congratulations, I guess. I'm sure glad it didn't happen on my watch."

Relief Society (link to a fabulous 3 minute video) is an inspired organization. It is so important for the women of church to embrace it and be embraced by the spirit of Relief Society. There are so many opportunities for spiritual growth and loving service, and numerous examples of them in this ward. So many sisters are constantly giving and serving. The president doesn't do it alone. I wish I had done more. Somehow, six years wasn't long enough. Watch the video.

1 comment:

Emma and Dan said...

I'm selfishly glad that I get to spend more time with you, but I'm glad that you were able to serve for those 6 years and help all the people that you did.